SAFETY & HIGH QUALITY IS PRIORITY #1:
Just because I can look out the door and tell by the clouds, approximate wind speed and temperature what weather we are about to have, I would never apply for a job as the weather man at an air control tower. In the same way just because I can sew and know what it takes to make a quality product, (quilt), I would never prescribe it’s use or make recommendations for your child.
What I can do is the highest quality work in making my products and quilts and, take every precaution to see that they are safe.
OBTAIN A HEALTH PROFESSIONAL’S ADVICE
WEIGHTED BLANKETS ARE NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN UNDER 3.
- A health professional’s advice must be obtained to ensure that the use of the blanket is suitable for the child.
- The weight of the blanket must be in proportion of the child’s physique and weight.
- The child’s head must never be, or be able to be, covered by the blanket.
- Vital signs should always be observable.
- The child must never be rolled in a blanket (unless a therapist is constantly at his or her side).
- A child must never be left unsupervised.
- The child must be able to easily slip out of the blanket if he or she wishes to do so (it is not a confinement).
- The child must express his or her consent to this, even if it is not verbal.
(Autism Society Canada, 2008)
ON THE SAFTEY OF THE USE OF WEIGHTED PRODUCTS:
I can and will recommend some reading. Other times I will share a few points from personal reading and research.
Safe use of weighted products: “weighted blankets are usually recommended as a strategy to assist children to calm and settle…”
“…applying weight has an impact on a child’s nervous system, helping it to process and modulate sensory input more effectively…”
“…both the tolerance of the child to the weighted blanket and the benefit of the weighted blanket must be considered when determining the length of time the weighted blanket should be applied…”
“…the child must possess sufficient cognitive and physical capabilities to be able to free him/herself from the weighted blanket at any time…”
Points mentioned above are quoted from this paper: